Cat dies in morning basement fire at home in Laurelton area of Irondequoit. | News
One cat was rescued, but another cat died in a fire early this morning on Queensboro Road, in the Laurelton area of Irondequoit.
Firefighters were called to the home at 52 Queensboro Road just before 6 a.m. today, Tuesday, May 8, foe the report of a basement fire.
Irondequoit Fire Marshal Gregory Merrick said that fire damage is heavy in the basement. He said the structure — floor joists and sub-flooring — the furnace, water heater, and utilities like the gas meter, electric and water service were all damaged.
Fire departments at the scene were Laurelton, under command of Chief Tim Shone, Ridge-Culver and West Webster.
The City of Rochester filled in at the Laurelton firehouse and covered a couple of calls while Laurelton was at this fire, Merrick said.
He added that the home's lone ccupant is being assisted with emergency housing and food vouchers by the American Red Cross.
Upcoming Events near Irondequoit
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 14th Annual Westside Ecumenical Benefit Concert
- “God’s Comic” Brad Stine to deliver holy hilarity and more at Roberts Wesleyan College
- Town of Gates to hold 46th annual Easter Egg Hunt
- Westside forecast for April 15th
- Mobile DMV Hours in Chili extend hours Tuesday to assist stolen license plate victims