Irondequoit man falls ill after handling package with hazardous material | Health
Irondequoit resident Janet Vieau says her son was poisoned by an item he handled at the post office. However, she says the post office has never done anything about it.
Over a year ago in February 2011, 44-year-old Jeffrey Lil's health has completely deteriorated. So much so he was unable to speak to us today.
Jeff worked as a supervisor at this post office processing center in Orlando Florida for several years.
Lil told his mother postal workers were instructed to isolate packages arriving from Greece, Turkey or Yemen. And it was one of those packages that he says contained a toxic chemical.
He says the package was from Yemen and contained a chemical that caused him to fall ill.
A week after the incident he says he had flu symptoms, but that was nothing compared to what he experienced next.
Today he suffers from tremors, nausea and deteriorated mental health.
The 15 months have been a nightmare for his entire family, especially since doctors can't diagnose his condition.
Vieau says what's even more frustrating is the postal service is denying the incident ever happened.
Doctors have told Vieau if they knew the name of the chemical, chances are there might be a way to help him. Until then Jeff's body will continue to shut down.
Vieau says she'll never stop searching for answers.
The location of the package is a mystery says Jeff’s mother. There is a hazardous material protocol at the center that was not followed at all.